Today, I took Eden to gymnastics at the YMCA. While she was in class, I went outside with Kade to play on the playground so he would stay off of the
gymnastics equipment during class. I got tired of holding my purse on the
playground, so I put it in the car that was parked nearby. For some reason, the car door automatically locked
itself with my purse and keys inside. Luckily, I had my cell phone in my pocket, and I called Justin for help. I told him that we were locked out of the car at the YMCA just down the street from his dental office. He was just on his way to play in a golf tournament, but was able to contact a locksmith to come to our rescue.
While waiting for the locksmith, Kade and I got kicked off the playground by the YMCA summer camp
counselor whose "supervisor" told her that we weren't allowed on the
playground during the lunch hour because it was reserved for "Y" camp
kids only. We left the playground, and wandered around the building, trying to keep an eye out for the locksmith while still
checking in on Eden at gymnastics and keeping Kade from playing
on the gymnastics equipment or running back onto the playground outside. After
45 minutes, Eden was finished with her class, and I called to see where the locksmith was. The locksmith told me he
had already come and unlocked my Suburban. I figured I must have somehow missed him in my wanderings, so I promptly led my children out to the car, only to find that the doors were still locked.
I called the locksmith again. Apparently he had unlocked another white Suburban in the YMCA parking lot. After explaining more specifically where my Suburban was parked in the parking lot, the locksmith said he'd return right away. By this time, the "Y" camp was off the playground, so Eden and Kade were free to play on the equipment. Before long, I saw a white service truck come my way. I waved enthusiastically, only to realize that it was not the locksmith coming to my rescue. Oops. So embarrassing. Several minutes later, I got a call from the locksmith. He was at the YMCA but couldn't see any white Suburban, other than the one he had already unlocked. After a bit of confusion, we finally figured out that he was at the wrong YMCA. I explained that we were at the YMCA on Stadium Dr., NOT the one located on Amazonas. We later realized that this confusion came about because when I told Justin that we were at the YMCA near his office, he thought I was talking about the new dental office that he is building on Amazonas, but I was talking about his old dental office, just off of Stadium. What are the chances that my husband would have two dental offices just down the street from two different YMCA's? So utterly confusing. Anyway, the locksmith eventually found us, unlocked the car, and we were on our way.
I had planned to spend the previous hour shopping for a baby gift for my pioneer trek youth conference daughter who had a baby yesterday, but my shopping time was used up waiting for my car to get unlocked. We were really short on time now, since I needed to get to the hospital in Osage Beach to visit the new mom & baby before rushing back to pick up Brock, Austin & Brandon from a day camp they were attending in Jefferson City. I decided to forego the baby gift, and raced to the Lake Hospital. On the way, we stopped for ice cream cones at McDonald's, which Kade effectively dripped all over the front of himself. Fortunately, he looks good in chocolate. I called to check on Nancy, my bff who also lives at the Lake and just had her fifth baby a week ago today. She wasn't doing so well. She informed me that she had just called her husband home from golfing with my husband because she was in pain and needed to go to the emergency room. Luckily, I was already on my way to the hospital, so I told her I'd check in on her there. I stopped by my sister's house to pick up a babysitter, and then Bev & I went into the maternity ward while her kids and mine entertained one another in the waiting room. The new baby was precious, the mother was glowing, and I was glad I could be there to see them both, even if I hadn't brought a gift with me. After our visit, Bev left with her kids, and I took mine downstairs to the ER to check on Nancy. Her husband and week-old baby were sitting in the waiting room because the baby was not allowed in the treatment area with her mother. I was more than happy to hold the infant while her daddy went back to check on Mom.
Eden and Kade fought over took turns holding the baby while we waiting to hear how Nancy was doing. I called my ever-ready mother-in-law and asked if she could pick up my big boys from camp since I wasn't sure whether I'd get back in time to get them. She agreed. In time, the hospital staff decided that the new baby needed to be allowed in the back room with her mother, so my services would be better used back at the house with Nancy's four other children. Eden, Kade and I went back to the residence and tried to help out as much as we could. Nancy was home before bedtime, and we returned home too.
That was it. That was my day. Not really what I had planned, but it turned out to be a pretty good day nonetheless. It was a bit of a crazy day, but definitely one worth remembering.
Friday, June 08, 2012
When things don't really go as planned...
Posted by Bobbi at Friday, June 08, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment