I am absolutely heartsick today. Of course I knew it would be a close race--that there was a good chance Mitt Romney would lose, but when I heard the announcement late last night that Barack Obama had been reelected as President of the United States, it felt like a slug to the gut. I admit I've been a bit obnoxious this past year with my Romney signs & stickers, t-shirts, hoodies, yoga pants & cell phone case. It's been a thrill of a ride-- watching the debates, going to my first caucus, dragging friends and family along, bantering over Facebook--all good fun. But today, I really do feel the heavy weight of defeat. It's not that I necessarily hate President Obama. I don't believe that he's an all-out evil guy. But I certainly do not agree with his morals, and it scares me to see over half the nation vote in support of what this man stands for.
When it comes to foreign policy, health care, military & environmental issues, I'm in way over my head. I don't know who to believe or if anyone really has the answers. But there are three things that I know with absolute certainty in regards to political issues today: 1-National debt is dangerous. 2-Abortion is murder. 3-Marriage between a man and woman is ordained of God. The fact that the majority of people in this nation would vote for a president who has shown no effort to slow federal spending, sees murdering unborn children as a right, and endorses gay marriage is down right frightening to me. What does this mean for our country? What does this mean for my children? What can we expect from the next four years?
I know that this little rant is too little too late. I feel helpless and hopeless for what comes next. I wonder how my husband will stay motivated to go to work each day, pouring time & money into his own small business while watching his taxes increase and his paycheck diminish. I see a great loss of ground in the war against traditional Judeo-Christian values. I wonder what new policies will dictate how I live my religion, how I teach my children at home, or what others learn in the classroom. I am afraid.
And yet the Lord has said, "Fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks." (DC 98:1) I am so thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ. I know that He lives, and that He is not only aware of the world, but He has given His life for it. He is actively involved in the lives of men, and has a plan for each and every one of us. The perspective of eternity reveals a plan of hope, happiness, and exaltation. I will cling a little tighter to the scriptures today. I will huddle close to my loved ones, and find strength in the good that is around me. This presidential election has brought me to my knees, and for that I am glad. I find solace in knowing that the Lord, indeed, is over all.
Wednesday, November 07, 2012
It's All Fun And Games 'Til Obama Gets Re-elected
Posted by Bobbi at Wednesday, November 07, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You said it. And I whole-heartedly agree with every single word.
I feel the same way. I'm praying for comfort right now. Thanks for sharing, Bobbi. I appreciate hearing your thoughts.
Bobbi, you are not alone. Many, including myself, share your beliefs. I will always tell myself that Jesus is Lord and is Victorious. No matter what happens here on earth, He is triumphant!
Post a Comment