Sunday, June 30, 2013

Meltdown

So, I sort of lost it after sacrament meeting today.  I am the 1st counselor in the primary presidency.  The primary president has been out of town for over a month.  The CTR 7 teacher sent me an email late last night that she wasn't going to be at church today and that she couldn't get a hold of her assistant.  The CTR 5 teacher texted me this morning that she wasn't going to be at church today either.  I asked my favorite last-minute-go-to sub to fill in, but she said she couldn't because she was getting a new calling today.  (YW Pres.)  One of the Valiant 9 teachers was also called to be in the YW Presidency.  I learned that the 11-year-old scout leader is moving THIS TUESDAY!  (Brock's non-member friend just started coming with him to scouts)  The couple that usually subs the Valiant 8 class is out of town, so they couldn't cover for the couple who is called to teach the Valiant 8 class but haven't been to church in 6 months.  The CTR 4 teacher is on her mini mission, so she wasn't at church today.  I asked her to find a sub for her class before she left, but apparently she forgot.  The bishopric counselor over primary is out of town.  The primary president is still out of town.  The primary second counselor has a new baby and went home after Sac. Mtg.  I was feeling very much alone at church today, yet we still seemed to have an awful lot of kids in primary!

I started panicking during the closing hymn in sac mtg. and took a few minutes to compose myself out in the hall while my sister-in-law started conducting primary for me.  Two brethren saw me crying (so pitiful) and asked if I needed anything.  I threw a primary manual at them and asked them to teach the Valiant 8 class.  Then I grabbed my visiting teaching companion to teach CTR 4 & 5, a couple of other men to teach CTR 7.  Then I ran (reverently) to the kitchen to finish preparing my sharing time lesson (with our foreign exchange student arriving and company in town all week, my lesson was sort of half-baked by the time I got to church today.  Oh, and Austin was supposed to give a talk in primary today.  He wrote it during sacrament meeting).  I was SO GRATEFUL to those individuals for being willing and able to jump in at the last minute.  This church would not survive without people like them!

Our sharing time lessons this month have been about baptism.  We had a relief society activity last week about covenants.  The theme was "Building the kingdom one covenant at a time".  I have been thinking about what it means to be a covenant keeper.  When we are baptized, we promise to take upon us the name of Jesus Christ, become part of his church, and part of his family.  As members of His church, we take an active part to serve and accept callings.  Then we must work to fulfill those commitments.  The youth of this church depend on their teachers to show up on Sunday and fulfill their callings!  The Lord depends on His family to live up to their commitments!  This Sunday has increased my awareness of how important it is to serve with zeal and dependability in the church.  It is The Lord's community of saints.  When we let them down, we let Him down.  I do not want to let the Lord down! 

0 comments: