Thursday, November 21, 2013

Weight Gain


Today is my last day working out at the original Jefferson City CrossFit box.  I am feeling sentimental about the place.  I was there that day in December 2012, when they first opened their garage bay door to the public.  Since then, JCCF has been my home away from home, my refuge from the daily grind, my strong place.  The coaches and athletes at JCCF have been remarkably attentive to my individual strengths and weaknesses, picking me up after failures and rejoicing with me over victories.  People sometimes ask how much weight I have lost doing CrossFit.  My answer is surprising to some: I haven't lost anything.  In fact, when it comes to weight, my progress has been most notable in gains.

I keep a careful record of every weight lifted and workout completed at JCCF.  Looking through that record today, this is what I see: 

In October of 2012, I could push press a 55# barbell over my head.  This month, November 2013, I set a new personal record by push pressing 125#.  That's 70# of upper-body strength I have gained in the last 13 months. Feels amazing.

One year ago, November 2012, the max weight I could deadlift was 155#.  On Halloween 2013, I deadlifted 3 reps at 205#.  That's another 70 pounds of power gained in the glutes & hams.  Solid.

In October 2012, I was thrilled to complete a 100# front squat.  Today, I don't know what I can squat once, but my three rep max is 155#.  Up 55+ pounds.

Put the barbell on my back a year ago, and I could squat 105#.  Today?  165#.  That's 60 pounds of get-up gained.  


What's even more awesome than gaining 255# of cumulative body strength?  It is knowing that these records will be broken...next week... next month...next year.  That is the beauty of human biology, coupled with the motivating power and genius of CrossFit.  It feels so good to be strong!

Next week, I am driving to California to spend time with family. When I return, Jefferson City CrossFit will be in it's new, improved, bigger, better location. While I am excited about a new chapter for JCCF, I am also a little bit sad. I miss the early days of one on one training and tiny classes. The membership has exploded over the past year, which is wonderful and exciting!  But I will always remember my first year at JCCF as one of incredible friendships, memories, and significant weight gain.






1 comments:

Nikki said...

I am so impressed! You are truly amazing!