For the past two days, schools, businesses & freeways have been shut down due to a major "ice storm" sweeping through the area. You would think that I've been in Texas long enough to understand what is meant by an "ice storm", but to be honest, I've heard of snow storms, and I've heard of thunderstorms, but I wasn't quite sure what to imagine an "ice storm" would look like. Well, now I know. Today, we braved the slick road conditions of the Texas hill country and drove out to Bandera, where they received considerably more ice than San Antonio. The kids (and grown-ups) had a great time chipping chunks of ice off of the cars at Grandma & Grandpa Johnson's house. Icicles off of the rooftop became their swords, and frozen grass made a great sledding hill in the aftermath of the great Texas "ice storm".
Highways like this one were closed all day yesterday & today. School is scheduled to start one hour late tomorrow.

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos
I thought these frozen blades of grass were just beautiful!!

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos
We had fun breaking huge sheets of ice off of everything.

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos
Brandon finding his balance on the thick chunks of ice. This is what we chipped off of the car just minutes before.

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos
Check out the vast artillery!!

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos
How 'bout the ice on those tires? Very cool...

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos
Icicles melting...sometimes it's the little things that are fun to re-discover in the aftermath of an "ice storm"
Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos
Not exactly the sledding hills we saw in Utah, but Austin didn't seem to mind!
Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos
1 comments:
Wow - that is much more of an ice storm than we ever saw in Georgia (while I lived there anyway). Fun pictures!
Post a Comment