I have to share a funny experience that happened to me this morning: We are putting our house on the market tomorrow, so I have been busy getting everything to look just perfect for any prospective buyers, and this morning I was focusing on the outside of the house: sweeping leaves off the roof, cleaning out the rain gutters, mowing the lawn, etc. I was trying to hurry so that I could get as many bags of leaves and grass on the curb as possible before the garbage man showed up. Well, I had deposited three large black bags on the curb and was busy mowing the grass on the side of the house when I heard the garbage truck go by. A few moments later, I walked back out to the front of the house and saw that the black bags were still on the curb! I had been working so hard to get the house to look perfect, and I knew that I certainly could not have three big trash bags out front when any buyers came to see our house! I hesitated briefly, deciding what to do. Then, leaving the twins safely inside watching Barney, I jumped in the van and raced after the garbage truck, now at the end of the street. I pulled up to the man standing on the back of the truck and, yelling over the sound of the big truck, asked him politely why he hadn't picked up the three large garbage bags in front of my house. His reply was that they were over 50 lbs. (Apparently, I need to invest in a large garbage-weighing scale to check my garbage bags before I place them on the curb.) I informed him that I was 5 months pregnant (it always helps to exaggerate at times like this) and had bagged the leaves and carried them to the curb myself. I didn't see any reason why I couldn't load them into the back of the truck, and if he would kindly return to the front of my house, I would be glad to throw the bags in. At this point, the truck started moving down the street again, and the man told me I'd have to talk to the driver. I whipped my van around the truck, now turning the corner, and pulled up next to the front of the truck. I slammed the van into park, and jumped out to speak to the driver. I explained to him the situation, and added that my house was going up for sale tomorrow, and I couldn't allow the bags to sit in front of the house until the next garbage day. He assured me that they would make another pass by the house to collect the bags. I thanked him, and returned home. A few minutes later, the garbage truck returned, and I loaded the bags into the back...with the help of the kind driver. This is just another great example of why it never hurts to ask!!!
Tuesday, May 08, 2007
Taking Out The Trash!
Posted by Johnson Journal at Tuesday, May 08, 2007
Labels: Bobbi's Thoughts, Pregnancy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment