Monday, September 27, 2010

"Fight Like A Girl"



When Justin and I moved to Missouri three years ago, we didn't have a lot of family around. That all changed this past year when we convinced Justin's parents and two of his brothers to move here to Jefferson City with us. Now we feel very blessed to be surrounded by siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins here in the "show me" state.



On Thursday, September 9th, my mother-in-law, Elaine, asked me if I would come with her to a doctor appointment. I thought it was cute that she wanted me to come along with her for a routine check-up. Once in the exam room, however, it became clear to me that this appointment was anything but routine. Elaine had discovered an abnormal lump in her breast, and was concerned about the possibility of breast cancer. The doctor sent us immediately to a medical facility for testing. Four hours, two mammograms, an ultrasound and three biopsies later, we were sent home to wonder and wait through the rest of the weekend.


On Monday, September 13th, Elaine and I were shoe shopping in Columbia when we got the call. "It's not good", the doctor said. Elaine had tested positive for invasive ductal carcinoma, the most common form of breast cancer. The drive back to Jefferson City was a long one. From the driver's seat, I held my mother-in-law's shaking hand while she struggled to explain the results to her oldest son on the cell phone. When we got back to her house, I stood with her in the dining room while she told her husband the devastating news. That night, the family gathered around while Elaine's husband and sons gave her a special priesthood blessing of comfort and strength as she begins this frightening journey into the unknown.



As we were driving home from his parents' house that first night after hearing the diagnosis, Justin made the comment that "this is the kind of thing that happens to other people." Surely this was shocking news that no one could have expected. At the same time, however, we feel so blessed that it has happened now, while Elaine is here in Missouri with us. Before moving from Texas less than a year ago, Justin's parents didn't have any kind of health insurance, while now, Elaine is insured under Justin's business plan. While it may be that my dear mother-in-law is encountering the biggest trial of her life, she's in a place where she can get the medical treatment she needs, and is surrounded by family who loves her immensely!




This past Wednesday, September 22nd was Elaine's 59th birthday. She celebrated by undergoing a double mastectomy. Only after the surgery was complete did she learn that the cancer had spread to her lymphatic system and she would need to have chemotherapy. We visited her in her hospital recovery room where she smiled and joked about having a bra sale when she got home. What a woman! I can't get over how brave and optimistic my sweet mother-in-law has been these past weeks. Just last night, we went to visit her and found her baking her world famous chocolate chip cookies. Whaaat?! Apparently this woman doesn't know how to wallow in self-pity very well. Apparently my angel mother-in-law is determined to show the world, and her family, that she can indeed fight like a girl!

11 comments:

Samantha said...

Beautiful post, about a pretty amazing lady. Our hearts and prayers go out to all of you guys. I'm so happy Uncle Steven and Elaine moved up with you guys when they did.. We sure miss them, but I'm so glad they're happy and have most of their grandkiddos around =]

Mom of 2 Cuties said...

That made me tear up! She was my second mother growing up. She is brave and will beat this. Please, give her my love!

Unknown said...

What a great tribute! I loved the photos.

THE ORMES said...

I'm so sorry to hear. Our hearts and prayers are with y'all. Despite the trial, I just love seeing God's hand in it all. She definitely is in a great place to be to get her through this fight!!! We are cheering y'all on!!

Candida Johnson said...

Dang it Bobbi! You have me crying!!
We love Elaine so dearly. She is constantly in our thoughts and prayers. There is a long road ahead and we are so thankful that they have the support system there that they will be in need of. <3 you guys!

JoMamma said...

Your Mother-in-law is beautiful! My thoughts and prayers are with her and your family.

The Blaisdell Family said...

What a wonderfully written post Bobbi. I could feel your love and the love of Elaine's family in your words. What a tragic thing to be going through, I am so happy she is surrounded with so much love and support. We will keep her in our prayers along with the rest of the family. Sounds like she is a fighter for sure and that is wonderful.

Go Elaine Go!!! Fight, Fight, Fight!! We are cheering for you all the way from Idaho!!

Of Heaven. Of Earth. said...

I think she got a lot of practice rearing our husbands! She is, in fact, a strong woman!

Grammyzanne said...

I have always admired Elaine. What a beautifully written post and tribute. The Lord in deed does move in mysterious ways. We will remember your family in our prayers. Way to go Elaine!

Anonymous said...

"Keep fighting like a girl grandmother!"your grandson Brock

Unknown said...

What a post! Keep fightin, and we will keep the whole Johnson family in our prayers.