I killed three roosters today. My chicken coop is really only big enough for a few hens anyway, and I was feeling extra brave today and wanted to get the dirty job over with. I looked up some videos online about how to do it, found a dull axe by the fireplace, and went to work.
I could only catch one of the roosters, so I had Justin shoot two of them in the heads with a 22. They flopped around quite a bit before I could grab them, and I was worried the meat would be bruised. The driveway looked like a slaughter house with the blood spraying all around. The last chicken, I was able to strangle. I whipped it around by the head 'til it was limp. It was quite the experience. I felt like a real pioneer woman, strangling my own bird.
To skin the roosters, I first chopped off their heads (I really should've had a sharper axe), let the blood drain out of them for a few minutes, then stuck a hose into the necks, and let the skin blow up like a water balloon. When the balloon popped, the skin was separated from the meat and fairly easy to just peel off. I stuck the birds in a cooler with ice, and threw them in the crock pot the next day. Yum!

Now that I've gotten "chicken butchering" checked off my bucket list, I could definitely go the rest of my life without ever doing that again!
When I watched the following video, I literally laughed 'til I cried. If someone had shown me this five years ago, I would've never believed it. Wow.
Friday, July 27, 2012
Like A Chicken With Its Head Cut Off...
Posted by Bobbi at Friday, July 27, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment