I ran a half marathon today. It was unforgettable. By my side were Rachel, Jill & Emme, three amazingly inspirational women (four, actually, counting Missy, my awesome runner friend that I high-fived at mile marker 7 who would've smoked us all if she hadn't broken her foot while running another marathon a month ago).
The race was the Go Girl Run in Columbia, Missouri. The forecast said 0% chance of rain. The forecast lied. I've never been more completely soaked by torrential rain. I've never had so much fun running through puddles. I've never been motivated to run faster while crossing a metal bridge during a lightning storm. Hearing my name announced over the loud speaker as I sprinted across the finish line was such a thrill! And finishing in less time than I had anticipated was icing on the cake.
The month of May has pretty much revolved around half-marathon training. I hadn't really thought much about the time it takes to train for a long race like this. There were weeks when I struggled to find a two-hour block of time to go for a long run. There were days when I had planned on running, but the Missouri spring weather didn't cooperate. (I should've thought to train in the rain. It certainly would have prepared me well for this race!) Besides the running, there were other things to consider if I was to make this the best first half marathon possible!
Pump up:
I've mentioned my obsession with CrossFit--"Constantly varied, high-intensity, functional movement." My good friends and superb trainers at Jefferson City CrossFit have never disappointed with their daily effort to help me become better than yesterday.
Stock up:
Exactly 30 days before the Go Girl race, JCCF organized a 30-day nutrition challenge. Coincidence? I think not! Participating in this challenge meant stocking up on lots of "clean" protein, fruits and veggies.
Switch out:
I began to develop a culinary passion for something besides chocolate.
Birthday up:
I found a delicious recipe for a non-processed, grain-free and refined-sugar-free birthday cake for Kade's 3rd birthday. (Poor kid is ruined for life now, I'm sure.)
I finally found a way to empty our pantry of all the processed and sugar-filled foods in a manner that wouldn't upset the children too much.


Warm up:
A week ago, I warmed up with a shorter race. This was a 5K called Hope for Hayden. It was also Brock, Austin & Brandon's first 5K. Nothing like getting smoked by my 11-year-old.
That morning was a bit frantic: waking up early on a Saturday, loading up all the kids (and my aged parents who are visiting from California), driving two cars because my parents were supposed to meet my sister in Warrensburg after the race, lugging lawn chairs, diaper bags, water bottles, kids and parents onto the parking shuttle, last minute race registration, potty breaks for us all, meltdowns from the three-year-old who woke up too early and didn't get to finish his donut before completely missing the kiddie race... Once I finally managed to heartlessly abandon my screaming toddler with my saintly mother, I did manage to snag a quick group photo at the starting line with friends, but no, my iPhone was not strapped to my arm, RunKeeper was not ready to go and my music was not in my ears by the time the race started.
After the race, I realized that I had left the headlights turned on in one of the vehicles we drove to the race, so the battery was dead. I ended up having to drive my parents to Warrensburg, which opened up the perfect opportunity to stop in Sedalia and grab six cartons of Blue Bell ice cream on the way home. Really great day!
Wake up:
This morning's race was scheduled to begin at 7am. My alarm was set for 4:30am. I woke up at 3am. I couldn't sleep. I wasn't exactly sure why. I didn't think I was nervous. I had nothing to be nervous about. It wasn't like I was trying to win the race. I wasn't worried about finishing. I knew it was just another long run, like the ones I have been doing over the past few months. I was ready as I'd ever be. After lying awake for an hour, I finally decided that I might actually be excited! I got out of bed, showered, dressed, and at the counsel of my wise CrossFit coach, ate a baked sweet potato for breakfast. I am so going to start eating sweet potatoes for breakfast more often. It hit the spot!
Team up:
I met up with my running buddies, and we caravanned to Columbia. I sported my awesome running belt/water bottle holster that Justin gave me for mother's day (thanks honey!), and my thin, white Go Girl Run t-shirt. (Remember. Forecast said 0% chance of rain. I wasn't planning on a wet t-shirt contest.)
Soak up:
It started sprinkling early on. 'Round about mile 7 it started to get more serious. By mile 10, it was pouring. My strategy was to run for five minutes, and walk for one minute. It really helped to break the race up into little chunks at a time. By mile 11, I decided to stop taking the walking breaks, and just get through the last 2.1 miles. My socks and shoes were saturated and heavy. Everything was soaked. Towards mile 13, there was a parking lot we had to jog through, followed by a bridge. My legs were aching, my knees were hurting, my body was shivering. I was cold, wet, and losing steam.
Finish up:
There were volunteers standing around with umbrellas. Someone shouted, "Just across that bridge, and you'll hear them call your name!" That was the encouragement I needed. I kicked it into high-gear and sprinted the last 100 yards. Sure enough, I heard my name as I crossed the finish line. Someone handed me a medal, followed by a champagne glass. Rachel met me with a wet, congratulatory hug. Then we both sought cover under a nearby retail tent. Fruit smoothies and protein balls were served. A bucket list item was complete, and a fantastic memory was made. I had estimated the race would take me two and a half hours. My final time was 2:17:32.31. Pure, unadulterated awesomeness.













0 comments:
Post a Comment