Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Still Alive At Thirty-Five

Dear Diary,

Today I turned thirty-five.  I was afraid that it would hurt.  Like thirty.  Thirty hurt.  But thirty-five didn't hurt.  It was more like twenty-five.  Maybe fives are good while tens are bad.  Forty will definitely be bad...

Today I spent the morning trying to do a CrossFit workout at the YMCA.  That was pathetic.  I miss CrossFit.  The YMCA is a cold and lonely place after CrossFit.  The only really good thing about the YMCA was seeing Michelle in the nursery.  She gave me a hug and wished me happy birthday and took care of Eden while I tried to do a CrossFit workout without being at CrossFit.  (The boys all stayed home.  Kade wanted to come with me, but he was being picky about what socks he wanted to wear, so I left him behind--crying in the driveway.  Brandon was standing next to him, so I knew he would be alright.  Brandon is such a good big brother.  They all are, really.)  Eden colored a My Little Pony picture while at the gym and gave it to me for my birthday.  So sweet.   

I bought myself a birthday present: A used set of homeschool Charlotte Mason books.  I met a lady at the mall parking lot to pick them up.  I'm anxious to start reading them...just as soon as I get around to it.

I drove to Lake Ozark in my minivan full of kids.  I listened to my Pandora "Happy" station.  It made me happy.  I thought about how happiness is a choice.  But there are some days that choosing happiness comes easier than other days.  Today, happiness was an easy choice.

I spent the afternoon with my good friend, Nancy.  I asked if we could come over because I didn't want to sit home and do laundry on my birthday.  That would be lame.  Nancy didn't know it was my birthday, which was perfect because she didn't need to know it was my birthday to want to spend the day with me.  We swam at the pool and ate watermelon and sandwiches and watched our kids do cannonballs.  I finally told Nancy it was my birthday and she apologized that she didn't remember my birthday and I told her how glad I am for friends who don't remember birthdays because they make me feel better for not remembering birthdays either and how it really is possible to be a good friend without remembering somebody's birthday.

After the pool, we went to Nancy's house and had leftover peach pie for my birthday.

After pie, we went over to Dad Johnson's house and helped him fold some drapes.  Don't laugh.  It's a much more complicated than it sounds.  And yes, it is definitely a two person job!

For dinner, Justin ordered Papa Murphy's pizza.  Because I wasn't about to make dinner on my birthday.  Any pizza is only $10 on Tuesday, so it worked out well.  Our friend Tom is staying in our cabin while he waits for his family and furniture to arrive from Texas so he can move into his awesome new house across town.  Dad Johnson came over too and we ate pizza and Black Forest cake from Arris' Bistro.  I absolutely love Black Forest cake from Arris' Bistro.  If I could have any cake in the world for my birthday, I would choose Black Forest cake from Arris' Bistro.  Yes.  It is that good.


After cake, Tom entertained us by modeling an adult diaper on his head and  over his clothes in different fashions.  Brock watched a YouTube tutorial on how to do the moonwalk earlier.  He showed us his new skills and then performed the Napolean Dynamite dance for us.  Between the two of them putting on a show, we didn't even need to turn on the tv--a birthday present in itself. 

So, it happened.  I turned thirty five.  It was a happy, happy, love-filled day.  Proves that birthdays still can be awesome, even when you're an old lady like me. 
Arris' Black Forest Cake



1 comments:

Paul said...

Happy birthday Bobbi. You are so wise at 35 ;D.