Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Portido Warning!


Monday night, our family drove to the neighboring town of Osage Beach to get Brock signed up for a basketball league. After completing his registration, we exited the building and were getting into our vehicles when suddenly we heard a booming voice echoing through the night air: "A tornado warning has been issued for Osage Beach. Take cover immediately!!!" Following the warning came an ear-piercing siren wail. I have to say it was a little bit frightening! My heart rate picked up a bit and I drove home a little faster than usual that night. We never did encounter any tornadoes. However, over the next couple of days, Austin was heard re-telling the experience several times, calling the tornado a "portido". Too funny.

4 comments:

Jamie Smith said...

Well, I'm glad you are safe and didn't get hit by the "portido"! I would have been scared too.

The Kerr Family said...

Talk about freaky. You're brave to drive home in the middle of that. Love the photo of Austin. His cap is so cute!

The Blaisdell Family said...

I've heard those sirens before and they are really loud! Josh is terrified of "twisters" so I can only imagine what Josh would have done! I'm glad you guys are safe though. I drove during a tornado once and it was the scariest thing ever. I can see why you would want to drive faster. I would have too!!

Love the picture of Austin. He looks so cute in his hat!

Christine said...

My family and I spent two years in Omaha, Nebraska where we had tornado drills instead of fire drills. We only had one tornado actually hit a mile from our home, but several warnings. I'm glad you guys were okay.