Monday, January 28, 2008

P90X

My Plug For Extreme Home Fitness




Towards the end of my most recent pregnancy, I was feeling very motivated to find a way to get back in shape as quickly as possible after my baby was born. One night, Justin and I were flipping through channels on the t.v. and came across an infomercial for a home fitness program called "P90X". The program consists of 12 different workout DVD's that are performed in a scheduled order over a 90-day time period. The idea is to vary the workouts so that you can target each of the major muscle groups in different ways and avoid reaching a "plateau". The results depicted on the infomercial were incredible! Justin and I took the bait! I bought a set of DVD's on eBay and anxiously awaited the o.k. from my doctor to start working out.

Four weeks after Eden was born, I began the program. I was really gung-ho at first and completely eliminated all junk food from my diet for a full five weeks. In that first month, I lost 7 pounds, took 3" off of my waist, 2.5" off each thigh and an inch off my hips. That was by far my most productive month. After that, Thanksgiving hit and my diet went out the window. I haven't been able to stay off junk food since then, but I've been sticking with the workouts. Besides all of weight and inches lost, I just feel a lot firmer all around and am loving the way my clothes fit! I just bought a new swimsuit and actually like the way it looks! I feel really great! As for the workouts, they kick butt!! Seriously, on day one, I couldn't even complete half of the exercises. Now I can do them all. (Except I still need to keep one foot on a chair for pull-ups. Those are really hard.) It feels good to know that I'm getting stronger.

I highly recommend this fitness program for anyone who wants good variety and great results! I should mention, however, that there are some initial investments that need to be made if you are going to try P90X. Besides the DVD's, you will need some type of strength-training tool, either dumbbells or resistance bands, a yoga mat, and a pull-up bar! There are three different phases of the program, and the schedule changes a little bit with each phase, but a typical week of P90X goes something like this:

Monday: Chest & Back, ABS...like no other ab workout you've ever experienced!! Ouch!

Tuesday: Plyometrics
...I really try to make myself nauseous with this one. This is extreme cardio and muscle training. I think this is my favorite workout of the program!!!

Wednesday: Arms & Shoulders, ABS
again!!

Thursday: Yoga...the best yoga of your life! Love it!!!

Friday: Legs & Back, ABS one more time!!!

Saturday: Kwando...sweat a lot!


Here are my results. I'm sure I would have done better if I had stayed away from the junk food, but I have a serious problem saying no to chocolate chip cookies!!!


Day 1............... Day 85



Total weight lost: 17 pounds
5.5" off the waist
2" off the hips
3" off each thigh.

14 comments:

Kelli Proctor said...

Great JOB! You look amazing! I love how you are totally not smiling in the first picture and in the second picture you are totally smiling and you look a little tanner too! You look awesome! Great job!

Kaylynne said...

You look great. I have heard good things about that WO.

The Blaisdell Family said...

HOLY MOLY Bobbi. Did your body really give birth to 4 kids??? You look incredible!!! My friend from MN has those DVD's and she looks great too. You guys are giving me hope!! I need to stop eating though. That is tough when I'm home all day, but something needs to change!! You've always been way good at sticking to something your mind comes up with. You are a great example!!!! Keep up the good work Bobbi!!!!

The Blaisdell Family said...

Also...very cute swimsuit by the way!!!

The Kerr Family said...

You are indeed One Hot Momma! You look amazing. I can't believe Eden is just a few months old and you look like that. What a great example to all of us! Well done.

i'm erin. said...

whoa! I love it...would it be wierd if I said that I can't stop staring at your body...hmmm...awkward...hahahahaha...you look sooo fantastic. Mark actually started that program with some friends who owned the dvds, but they gave up and he didn't want to borrow them...so now, thanks to your wonderful blog, Mark has convinced me that we should buy them.

I think that you look fabulous!

i'm erin. said...

Hi Bobbi!
I hope you don't mind but Erin let me use her login to check out your blog since you have gone private now because she's so impressed and inspired by your success. I've been gaining back weight the last few months (I'm up 15 pounds) and really needed your ideas. I'm getting a set and can't wait to try! You look amazing!!! p.s. your baby is just so adorable!

i'm erin. said...

Bobbi - I forgot to say at the end of that comment that I am Leslie P.(Erin's sister) - remember me? We worked out together at PG rec at the end of 2006 and I had to ditch that goofy step class we were taking from that aerobics/robot lady.

Always, Hannah said...

I am super impressed by your results but no so impressed that I will be getting off my lazy tush to get in shape

Lyssa Beth said...

Bobbi, that is freakin' awesome! LIke what has been said before, you are a great example and it gives me much more motivation to keep losing this weight! I'm going to look into that workout for sure!

Lyndi said...

WOW Bobbi, you look amazin'! I love the before and after pic. I can't believe you look so good after 3 pregnancies, one w/twins. I know it must take a ton of work and dedication to find the time to do it. Congrats! :)

Michelle Cox said...

You rock!! What an intense program! Sheesh! You could take down anyone!

Christine said...

You look amazing, I will have to keep that routine in mind.

Shayleen Lunt said...

Bobbi - Those DVD's sound great and OBVIOUSLY have done their job in your household...or rather, you've done your job.
You look great and I can't belive you have four kids with a body like that. Are you sure you didn't adopt a couple of them? hehe