Saturday, May 31, 2008

Under The Knife...

About mid-way through my pregnancy with Eden, I developed two small lumps, one on either side of my lower abdomen. After giving birth, the lump on the right seemed to disappear, but the one on the left only got bigger. I learned that this lump was an inguinal hernia...

"A hernia is a defect in the abdominal wall, in which the inside layers of the abdominal muscle have weakened resulting in a bulge or tear. In the same way that an inner tube pushes through a damaged tire, the inner lining of the abdomen pushes through the weakened area of the abdominal wall to form a small bubble or balloon-like sac. When a loop of intestine or abdominal tissue pushes into the sac, severe pain and other potentially serious complications can result."

In my case, the lump was mostly just annoying, looked odd in a swimsuit, and only occasionally became painful. I finally got around to seeing a surgeon about repairing the weak spot. Yesterday morning, I checked in at the Lake Regional hospital and prepared for laparoscopic surgery....

"In laparoscopic hernia surgery, a telescope attached to a camera is inserted through a small incision that is made under the patient's belly button. Two other small cuts are made (each no larger than the diameter of pencil eraser) in the lower abdomen. The hernia defect is reinforced with a 'mesh' (synthetic material made from the same material that stitches are made from) and secured in position with stitches/staples/titanium tacks or tissue glue, depending on the preference of your individual surgeon."

When I went into the hospital, I thought I was only having one hernia repaired. Once under general anaesthesia, however, my surgeon re-discovered the second lump I had felt during pregnancy. It turned out that this too was indeed a second hernia. So, I now have two mesh patches on my insides.

I was nervous about my first experience with general anaesthesia, telescope cameras in my abdomen, and mesh patches being tacked on my stomach lining. All went well, however, and I was able to return home the same day as the surgery. I'm still pretty sore at this point, but Justin has been taking great care of me, cleaning the house, entertaining the kids, and due to doctor's orders, Justin hasn't even let me pick up my baby since yesterday morning!!! (No lifting anything over 20 lbs.)

I thought you might enjoy seeing some photos taken by that telescope camera that was in my abdomen during the surgery.

5 comments:

THE ORMES said...

Having surgery can definitely cause some anxiety (especially when they make you sign that you understand even death is a possibility). I'm glad everything went well.

Those pictures of you on the inside are pretty cool. Thanks for the science lesson! :)

Kaylynne said...

I am glad things turned out good. Make sure you make Justin clean the house real good so it will last after he goes back to work.

The Blaisdell Family said...

Wow Bobbi! I'm glad everything turned out ok. Anytime you have to put completely out like that is so scary! I'm glad that they fixed both though so you don't have to go back and do it again!!

And I agree with Kaylynne...make Justin clean so good you will be set for about a month:) Justin's a good guy though, I'm sure he's already done so much to help out.

Hope you're back to your active self again real soon Bobbi!

Shayleen Lunt said...

GROSS! jk I think my dad had that same surgery when I was a teenager. I remember being embarassed that everyone in the ward knew! Oh the trauma of a teenager ;)
Glad it went good and that you have a "totally capable of handling four kids and a recovering wife" kind of husband!

Jamie Smith said...

Your amazing Bobbi! I hope your feeling and recovering well! My friend just got something done like that. Ok, it was a little different, but she did something where she reparaired the damage the babies had done and got a boob job at the same time. I hope your getting lots of help with everything. I wish we where there to help you out!