
When I was a little girl, my mom used to tell me that I had "cat eyes" because I could see well in the dark. She also told me that if I ate my carrots I'd have healthy eyes and be able to see even better. Over the years, I continued to eat my carrots, and developed a secret sense of pride in my perfect "cat-like" vision.
Throughout grade school, junior high and high school, I was thrilled that I never had to go to the eye doctor, or wear glasses or contacts. I silently boasted about my 20/20 vision that never seemed to fail me. I sailed through my freshman year of college, still seeing as clearly as ever...or so I thought.
For spring break my sophomore year of college, I took a road trip with a couple of my roommates to southern California. On one very dark night, I found myself driving down a busy highway in the heart of San Diego being hammered by a heavy downpour of rain, and it suddenly occurred to me that I could not read the road signs!!! Terror struck as the thought entered my mind for the first time in my life, that maybe....perhaps....there might be a slight chance.... that my cat eyes had finally begun to fail me. As we returned to campus to finish off the semester, I decided that it was time to visit the eye doctor. During the course of my visit, I learned the ugly truth....I was nearsighted, and was in need of corrective lenses.
Nearsighted or not, there was one thing I knew with absolute certainty: I COULD NOT get glasses. I WOULD NOT get glasses. I LOOK HORRIBLE in glasses! I've tried on a thousand different frames and they all accentuate the roundness & crookedness of my nose, and make my eyes look smaller than they really are. I really was not about to consider wearing glasses. So, there was really only one solution to the problem...I got contacts. I wore the contacts to class for the rest of the semester, but would take them out as soon as I got home because I hated the way they made my eyes feel. They also seemed to fall out easily, which was really annoying. I remember one time I wore my contacts to a movie and halfway through the show, I rubbed my eye and my contact popped out. I couldn't get it back in, so I just held it inside my mouth throughout the rest of the show. Ridiculous, I know. Anyway, I wore the disposable lenses for as long as they lasted, and then never went back to the eye doctor. My vision really wasn't that terrible, and as long as I wasn't driving at night in a rain storm, I did pretty well without them.
It's been about ten years since the last time I wore contacts. I've managed to do just fine without any correctional lenses, and I've still been able to pass the driver's license eye exam...barely...if I squint. All of that changed yesterday, however, when I went to Capitol Eye Care and had Lasik eye surgery performed by Dr. James G. Luetkemeyer. The procedure was quick and painless. Everything went smoothly, and I now have my "cat eyes" back. It's amazing how crisp and bright everything looks to me now! I can see the leaves and berries on the top branches of the trees! The sky and clouds are brighter and more beautiful than ever! It really is a miracle of modern technology that a laser can reshape the eye so that it can measure up to its full potential. I'm thrilled to be able to see clearly once more!!! And I didn't even have to eat any carrots.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Cat Eyes
Posted by Bobbi at Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Bobbi - I remember when I first put my contacts in at my house in the 7th or 8th grade. I looked out the window and REMEMBER being able to see each individual leaf on the tree...it was SO exciting!
So, I know what you mean in being able to see the beauty in everything again. I hope your cat eyes never fail you again.
Okay, now I know why driving with you in SA scared the pee out of me!
Just kidding. I'm so jealous that you got lasik. That is something I totally want to do.
Bobbi, it was so great to here from you! We are living back in UT now so if you are ever here for a visit we should get together. That story about your eyesight is funny because it sounds alot like mine...I'm still living with slightly blurry vision, but I think your plan of getting lasik instead of glasses is totally the way to go.
Wow Bobbi! Good for you. I bet you feel so FREE! My bro in law had that done this summer and loves it. I'm still too chicken to even look into having it done, but oh how I would love to see first thing in the morning and with both Craig and I wearing contacts and cleaning them as well as we do, we spend A LOT of money each year on supplies!!
Keep us posted with how your eyes feel or do as time goes by. Maybe that will "talk" me into getting it done myself.
Congrats on the surgery...I hope all continues to go well. I'm still doing the contact thing, my husband will never let me get the surgery. He represented too many dr's who really screwed up peoples eyes. So I'm glad yours went good. Happy Seeing!
I would LOVE to have Lasik done!!!!! I ran out of contacts ONE YEAR ago, so I've been wearing glasses on a daily basis and I really hate it!! I really don't look good in glasses at all! Some people can pull it off, but not me! Ugh. I just need to make an appointment and get a new contacts prescription, I just haven't gotten around to it, it's so expensive to buy contacts. I would so prefer to get the surgery done and never have to worry about it again. I might have to come up there to get it done, since you had a good experience with your doctor!
Post a Comment