Friday, July 10, 2009

Hiking Timp: A Family Tradition



When I was 9 years old, I had my first experience hiking to Timpanogos Cave. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was with my two best friends: Marlie Nelson & Hilary Christensen. We skipped and sang the whole way up the mountain. The short hiking trail was smooth and paved the whole way, with beautiful views of the mountains and valleys around us. The formations inside the caves were breathtakingly amazing in their grandeur. To this day, it is one of my favorite childhood memories.

During our latest trip to Utah, I was eager to give my own children this same memorable experience. So, first thing Thursday morning, I loaded the kids in the van, and drove up American Fork canyon. I borrowed my sister's double stroller, figuring that since the hiking path was paved, I could just push Eden in the stroller and throw the diaper bag and water bottles in the 2nd seat. I brought PB&J sandwiches for the kids to eat before we started our hike, so no one would get hungry along the way. I purchased our tickets to the cave, and we waited an hour for our turn to start the 1-1/2 mile hike. At the ticket booth, I was informed that no strollers were allowed, which kind of blew my whole preparedness plan out the window. I hadn't brought a backpack. All I had was my purse and diaper bag. The purse has a long strap, so I could wear it across my body, which I thought would be easier to carry than the over-the-shoulder diaper bag. I emptied the purse of all non-essentials, and shoved a couple diapers & wipes inside. I had each of the boys carry a water bottle, and I carried one for Eden. While waiting for our turn to start hiking, we watched a video at the visitor's center. The video informed us that the tour inside the cave lasts about an hour, and that the temperature inside was around 40-degrees. I looked at my children, each in shorts and t-shirts, and realized they would probably be miserable inside the cave without some sort of sweatshirt to wear. Once again, I found myself ill-prepared for this adventure. I had only brought a light jacket for Eden, nothing for myself or the boys. I would have to purchase some sweatshirts at the gift shop. It was there that this cheap family outing suddenly became rather expensive.

The hike up the mountain was actually really fun. I had to carry Eden on my hip the whole way, which was hard on the back, then with the purse and camera bag slung around my torso, I was working up a pretty good sweat, but the boys were cheerful hikers, and seemed to be having a great time. We stopped and snapped some photos at a couple of spots on the trail that I remembered taking photos at on my hike over 20 years ago:

9-year-old me back in 1988:



My cute kids in 2009:










When we got to the cave entrance, the children were complaining of hunger. I hadn't brought any snacks, and poor Eden kept pointing to other hikers around us, crying for "foot nacks" that she saw them eating. I was worried that she would be fussy through the whole tour, and wondered if I had made a huge mistake bringing her along. Once inside the cave, however, she settled down and seemed to enjoy the adventure. Once again, however, I was left carrying her in my arms, with a bulky camera and purse slung around my body, which made it hard to contort my body through the sometimes tight cave passageways. The boys were truly amazed by the cave formations, though, and I was able to convince our tour guide to tell us the mysterious legend of Timpanogos, which apparently they don't tell to all of their tour groups anymore.

The cave tour ended and we emerged into the sunlight. Austin suddenly had to pee really bad, and there wouldn't be any toilets available until we reached the bottom of the mountain, 1-1/2 miles away. He crossed his legs back and forth in a panic. I looked around at the groups of people outside the cave and decided to make a dash down the trail and try to find a discreet place for Austin to relieve himself on the mountainside. Once the deed was done, and we had continued our descent, Austin realized that he had forgotten his water bottle at the top of the trail. He asked if we could go back for it. I told him no, we couldn't go back, but that we could get him a new one when we got home, and he could share with his siblings until then. He instantly became distressed, whining and crying, yelling and screaming, begging for his water bottle, insisting that we turn back and go get it. I absolutely refused. For the next mile and a half, the tantrum continued. I was carrying Eden, Austin was throwing himself on the mountain trail, and Brock and Brandon were following along behind. I was definitely a spectacle to behold! By the time we reached the parking lot at the foot of the mountain, we were all exhausted, and hungry! We had another round of PB&J's, and then drove back to Brenda's house, where we threw on our swim suits and went swimming!! Whew! What a day! I think I'll wait another 20 years before attempting that adventure again!

1 comments:

Hilary said...

I remember it too! (And I'll have to tell Star her picture is on here!) I've wanted to take my girls, but have chickened out thus far . . . maybe if we borrow someone's baby backpack to stick Ellie in on Greg's back, we'll try it this summer . . . 'cause I REALLY want pictures of my kids in that tree too!