Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Out of the Best Books


Maybe I should just be happy that my seven-year-old has found a series of books that he enjoys reading. Maybe I should just smile with satisfaction when I see him with his nose glued to the pages of a novel. But seriously...isn't there something better he could be reading? What kind of cranial stimulus could my son possibly be getting from "Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants"? What enlightenment can be found in "The Big Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy" or "The Revenge of the Ridiculous Robo-Boogers"? What good does it do to nag my child about "no potty talk", only to have him read 15-minutes a day of words like "Zippy Wafflebutt" or "Wicked Wedgie Woman"? Can anyone please explain to me the educational merit of the books my son has been bringing home from school?

3 comments:

Star said...

I come from a family that LOVES to read. We were always found with our noses in books... until my baby brother. He hated to read. We could never entice him to read any thing. We did find this series though and I believe it helped foster his love of reading. Let's say it's a gateway book... to bigger and more addicting books. :)

THE ORMES said...

Star said it exactly. It's getting him to read, which is just the beginning. Once he loves reading, then he'll move on to bigger and better things.

I also read bigger books to Shelby besides the ones she read on her own. We did all of the Harry Potter books last year, and then on her own she read Percy Jackson and the Olympians this summer. You could try reading with him books he'll like but wouldn't pick out himself. I also googled good book series to find more books for Shelby. Good luck!

Kat Curtis said...

Yeah, but think of all the big words he's reading: "bionic", "wafflebutt", "ridiculous" -- whatever works. :)

Ben actually saw those at the book fair at his school and thought they looked funny. I'm guessing he'll be taking them home from school someday too. Keep thinking "gateway books"...