Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Salad Greens



I've been anxious to start my first vegetable garden this year. I took a Master Gardener class in the fall, and finally have plenty of acreage to plant lots and lots of fruits and vegetables. Only problem is, I've been a little short on energy lately, and not sure how much I can really take on with a newborn arriving in just 4 1/2 weeks. I've spent several mornings working in the master gardener greenhouse, and can't seem to resist bringing home the beautiful lettuce plants that have been growing there. With the ground being too wet to till, and my back being a little too sore (and belly too big) for bending over any more than I absolutely have to, my sister-in-law, Allison, gave me a great idea for a salad table garden!!! I used this sturdy table that Justin built a few years ago, fashioned a shallow wooden frame around the top, lined it with weed barrier to keep the dirt and water from falling through the cracks and stuck my pretty little lettuce plants in the dirt. Now, whenever I want some fresh salad greens, I just walk out my kitchen door onto the patio and pluck away!!! So handy!! And delicious!!!

4 comments:

JoMamma said...

That is a brilliant idea. It looks so pretty and is the freshest salad bar I have ever seen.

Clinton Home Educators said...

Looks awesome! Very creative! Have your cake, I mean salad, and eat it too!

Jaime S. said...

Love it!

Prior Family said...

I'm sure you already know this, but when we lived in St. Louis we used to add peat moss to our soil along with a few other things like manure, top soil, etc. Chad only tiled up a section of our garden once and it seemed like things would spontaneously grow. It was great. We started one section with 8-10 strawberry plants. We did nothing to them in the fall and winter. Things started warming up and all of a sudden we had over 60 plants growing like crazy. I love Missouri gardening. Good luck. Your greens look wonderful.

Diana