It might be that I've forgotten previous pregnancies (a four year gap tends to do that to you). It might be that I'm over thirty now and my body is in revolt. Whatever the reason, this pregnancy started out rougher than I remember the others being. I was sick from the moment I tested positive for pregnancy. I gained 10 pounds the first four weeks, due to consuming half my body weight in cheese sticks in an effort to keep the nausea at bay. One morning, I made the fatal error of going to the bathroom first thing in the morning before getting a bite to eat. While doing my business (diarrhea every morning), I found myself overcome by an overpowering wave of nausea. My whole body began to sweat, and I could feel myself getting lightheaded. I put my head between my knees, and woke up face down on the tile floor with my pants around my ankles, my head against the bathroom door, and a big bump on my noggin'.
I went to the midwife and she recommended taking an over the counter sleeping pill to help with nausea. I began taking it, and while it was hard to tell if my nausea was getting better, I certainly was sleeping better, so that was something. Then one night, when I knew I had an early morning ahead of me, I decided not to take the pill for fear I wouldn't wake up in time. I ended up not sleeping at all that night. Literally. In fear that I was becoming dependent on sleeping meds, I stopped taking the medication and went back to eating cheese sticks.
Week 10 was my redemptive week. The nausea subsided, and I began to feel almost human again. Now, I'm at a cozy 13 1/2 weeks, ending my first trimester, and feeling great. I haven't gained any weight the past few weeks, which is good because of all the weight I gained those first few, but my body is visibly changing. I'm transitioning into maternity clothes, and remembering how much I loathe panel pants. I'm still Crossfitting, but have decided to bow out at the end of this month. I'm worried about the hot summer months coming up, and I've had a few days of light blood-spotting that seem to coincide with some of the more intense workouts I've done. Apparently I'm not as good at "pacing myself" as I think I am. I'm sad to give up Crossfit. I really do love it. But I trust it will still be around in six months when I'm ready to whip back into shape!
Friday, May 23, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment