Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Run.

I have never been much of a runner. I remember that when I was a little girl, my dad used to go jogging every morning. When I was about eight or nine years old, I begged my dad to let me go with him on his morning jog. He warned me that he would be going a really long way, and it would be hard for me to keep up, and I would get tired and want to quit. I persisted, and he relented. About half a block down the road, I was exhausted and turned back for home.

Not much has changed since then. I occasionally decide that maybe I'll give running another try. I love the idea of running. It seems like it would be fun, I just usually get halfway down the road and find that there is a stabbing pain in my side and I can't inhale fast enough to accommodate my lungs' growing need for oxygen, and my new running shoes are burning blisters into my feet and I can't possibly go another step without tumbling to the asphalt in exhaustion, so I decide to turn back for home.

This afternoon I took the kids to my sister's house to play, and she sent me home with a death-by-chocolate cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory. I couldn't resist the temptation and I ate a billion-calorie slice. With the guilt of my indulgence weighing on my conscience, I laced up my sneakers, borrowed my husband's iPod, and headed out the door.

I proceeded onto the paved golf cart path that surrounds our subdivision. The grass still wet from today's April showers, and the evening air crisp with the fresh scent of rain, I started to run. I wound past a quiet cove of the Lake and startled a group of deer grazing on the green. It was invigorating. I ran until I had circled the golf course and was back at the gate of my subdivision. The evening shadows were growing longer, yet I didn't want to stop...so I didn't.

I kept on running. I ran around the subdivision, and finally, as the sky was darkening, I returned to my home. What an experience! I'm sure that things will most likely change tomorrow when I wake up with aching knees and throbbing shins, but for tonight, I am a runner.

4 comments:

Kelli Proctor said...

I decided I like running this past year too! It is awesome! I havent experienced that runners high and I dont think I ever will but just the fact that I am doing something good for me is a great feeling! Great job Bobbi!

The Kerr Family said...

Well done! It sounds like you did great and went pretty far for your first time out. I'm sure you'll be "a runner" for a long time!

The Blaisdell Family said...

Good Job Bobbi. I know what you mean though. For me running is such a love/hate relationship. My goal is to lose weight so I can be addicted to running again. It really is a great sport that just lets you slip away from the world for a bit!

Rob and Jenn said...

I love reading your thoughts. I need to be better at documenting mine...but as for being a runner...good for you! I like to think that I work out just because I have an exercise machine in my basement.