Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Twenty Something...

I turned 29 today. Brock, Austin & Brandon watched an episode of "Word World" where the characters made a rainbow cake, so they decided that they wanted to make me a rainbow cake for my birthday. I didn't actually watch the "Word World" episode, so I didn't see what the cartoon cake looked like, but I helped the boys make what I envisioned a rainbow cake might look like. I found out later that the cake on the cartoon wasn't actually shaped like a rainbow at all. It just had lots of colors on it. Oh well.



The boys had a great time mixing the different colors of icing, squeezing it out of the decorator bags, and licking it off their fingers! I thought they did a great job and the cake turned out great!



For my birthday, Justin took me to Outback Steakhouse for dinner (yummy) and then we saw the new Indiana Jones movie. It was a awesome! I highly recommend it!

It seems weird that I'm starting my last year of my twenties. I've been thinking back on all that has happened so far during this decade of my life. There are far too many memories to list, but here are just a few of the highlights:

Age 20:
*Spent a summer working at Disneyland, "the happiest place on earth";
*Started my Junior year of college at Brigham Young University;
*Met a handsome Texan who quickly became my new best friend;
*Worked as a custodian on campus, vacuuming floors at 4 o'clock in the morning;
*Took a road trip to California with Justin.

Age 21:
*Sold my car;
*Bought a plane ticket to Zimbabwe;
*Got engaged;
*Cashed in my plane ticket to Zimbabwe;
*Married Justin Lee Johnson on August 1, 2000;
*Honeymooned in Park City;
*Worked as the "Equipment Manager" at the BYU Outdoor Equipment Room;
*Got pregnant;
*Miscarried;
*Took a road trip to Yellowstone National Park;
*Interned at the Boys & Girls Club;
*Graduated from Brigham Young University;

Age 22:
*Worked as an office manager at Alliance Marketing;
*Got pregnant again;
*Took Hypnobirthing classes with Justin;
*Volunteered at the Opening & Closing Ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City;
*Gave birth to a healthy baby boy, Justin Brock, on April 17, 2002;
*Quit my office job;
*Became a mother.

Age 23:
*Moved to the Presidio Apartments for the summer;
*Moved to Kerrville, Texas;
*Played with my baby while my husband drove a bread truck at 4 o'clock in the morning;
*Served as a counselor in the YW Presidency;
*Worked out at the Family Sports Center;
*Went on exchanges with the sister missionaries;
*Bought season passes to Sea World.

Age 24:
*Took a trip to Costa Rica;
*Got pregnant again;
*Moved to the Towering Oaks apartments in San Antonio, TX;
*Took my baby to the pool while my husband went to dental school;
*Bought our first house on Gomer Pyle Drive;
*Got a dog;
*Got tired of picking up dog poop;
*Gave the dog away;
*Gave birth (cesarean) to twin boys, Austin Lee and Brandon Lee, on February 12, 2004;
*Bought a station wagon.

Age 25:
*Worked as a delivery driver for the Johnson family drapery business;
*Started teaching step aerobics at Women's Super Fitness and Bally Total Fitness;
*Rehearsed & performed in a stake musical play;
*Traded the station wagon for a minivan;
*Potty-trained my 3-year-old.

Age 26:
*Served as YW president;
*Took the Young Women to Nauvoo, Illinois;
*Earned my own Young Womanhood Recognition;
*Continued teaching aerobics & yoga classes;
*Took the boys to Sea World by myself;
*Swore I would never do that again;
*Spent a night in the hospital with my 2-year-old (Austin) waiting to have surgery on his broken arm;
*Went on a 7-day Caribbean cruise while Justin stayed home with the kids.

Age 27:
*Took Latin dance classes with my husband (I learned that my hips don't swivel...but Justin's certainly do!!!);
*Attempted snow boarding for the first (and last) time;
*Swore I would never to THAT again;
*Took my 4-year-old (Brock) to pre-school;
*Visited Lake Ozark for the first time;
*Visited LOTS of dental practices in LOTS of different towns trying to decide where to go after dental school;
*Got pregnant AGAIN;
*Attended my Grandpa Allen's funeral;
*Bought a truck;
*Moved to Missouri;
*Sold our San Antonio house;
*Bought a house in Lake Ozark;
*Bought new furniture to go in our new house;
*Tried not to think about all of the debt that we're in.

Age 28:
*Got fat while Justin worked as an associate for Dr. Massie at Premier Dental & Oral Health Group;
*Took my 5-year-old (Brock) to Kindergarten;
*Gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, Eden Deana, on September 22, 2007;
*Worked my butt off to get skinny again;
*Went fishing at the lake;
*Met Garth Brooks in Nashville;
*Tried not to stress out when Justin quit his job at Premier Dental;
*Looked at a lot of job opportunities in Texas;
*Started packing to move again;
*Celebrated when my husband took a job in Jefferson City;
*Unpacked again;
*Had laparoscopic surgery to repair two inguinal hernias.

So far, my twenties have been a time of major decisions, life changing events, and unforgettable memories. I have one year left in momentous this decade of my life. What exciting adventures will this year bring?

3 comments:

The Blaisdell Family said...

Happy Birthday Bobbi!!! I should have written you last week when it was actually your birthday, but having family in town I forgot. Sorry:( Hope you had a great birthday. That is a long list of things you've done in your 20's!! I'm impressed you remember all of that!

Love the cake too. I love all the fun colors. I'm sure the kids had a blast, like you said, decorating that cake!!

Jamie Smith said...

Happy Birthday Bobbi! Cute cake! I love it! I hope you had a fabulous day! I had your birthday on my calendar, but have been such a slacker lately I haven't even looked at my calendar!

Christine said...

Happy Birthday (a bit late)! The twenties looked very busy for you and your little family. I'm sure this year will be no exception. I hope it is a good one though!