I am so NOT what you would call a "crafty" person. Seriously. Creativity and attention to detail are NOT my strong points. Still, every once in a great while, I take a look at the crafty moms around me and decide to get wild and crazy trying to do something I haven't a clue how to do....like make a quilt.
I started this "baptism quilt" for Brock several months ago. He won't turn 8 until April, but I knew I'd need to start early if I had any hope of getting it done before the big day. This particular project is especially ambitious for me, since not only does it require me to get along with my sewing machine (sewing machines and I have had a very tempestuous relationship for as long as I can remember. I always end up ripping out 2/3 of the seams that I sew), but I also decided to try embroidering some of the quilt squares...something I literally haven't done since learning to cross stitch as a Merrie Miss.
I finished sewing the quilt squares together about a week ago, and was feeling quite proud of my accomplishment...until I decided to try and wash the pencil markings off of the embroidered squares by throwing the quilt top in the washing machine on "gentle" and the whole thing fell apart. Ugh. Seriously, why do I even try when what I make ends up being just a big, fat piece of crap? I was hoping that this quilt would actually be a functional, snuggle on the couch and take on your mission to remind you of your loving mother who made it for you kind of a quilt. Now that I know the quality of the craftsmanship, however, it's looking like it might be one of those hang on the wall and don't dare touch it or it will fall apart kind of quilts.
Anyway, I managed to get the top sewn back together today, and then I hurried and took a picture before I could find a way to somehow destroy it all over again:
Monday, February 15, 2010
Quilt Top
Posted by Bobbi at Monday, February 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Consider me impressed!!
Wow! I love it!
Bobi
I like it! Way to go!
Post a Comment