That's what I used to say, anyway, until spending these last few months here in the Ozarks. This season, it seems that there has constantly been something we're just getting over or just getting into at our house. Brock has missed tons of school, only to go back to school and come home again with some other illness. The boys and I have all had numerous colds, the flu, even after having flu shots, and strep throat twice! Luckily Eden stayed out of it all until last month, when she had two ear infections and gave us our first run with RSV. I took her in for a routine checkup last week and everything seemed to be fine, and then Saturday she started coughing and wheezing like crazy. Monday morning, I took her back to the doctor, who checked her over, wrote a couple of prescriptions and sent her home saying that she had another ear infection and that the RSV was back. This time around is much, much worse than last time, though. Eden has been having violent coughing fits every few hours and wheezing an awful lot. So, this afternoon while I was at a parent/teacher conference with Brock, Justin took Eden in to a different doctor for a second opinion. After a more thorough examination, including x-rays, we've now learned that our little girl has pneumonia!!! This is just too much. My kids never get sick...at least not until now. Thank goodness we'll soon be moving back to Texas where the weather is warm and the viruses might not be so rampant (I hope).
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I am so sorry! Poor little girl. And poor mommy! I hope you all start feeling better. I can't believe you are moving to west Texas, you sound excited about it, so I will say congrats. Happy birthday boys!
OH man Bobbi. I'm glad you got her in for a second opinion!! That's really scary! Poor baby, and poor family. It's not fun being sick that's for sure. I hope the family regains their health soon!!
I've heard people in warmer states get sick more because the cold weather can help "kill" things off (not sure where I heard that from though and I could totally just be blowing smoke!), hopefully that's not the case for you guys though!!!
Oh, that poor little girl! I hope that some drugs can clear out the pneumonia quickly. That is not easy to hear coughing and wheezing like that!!!
Will you be switching doctors after that kind of mis-diagnosis?
The west Texas wind might stir up allergies you guys never knew you had. At least that's my personal experience.
The best pediatrician in Odessa in my opinion is Dr. Bello. That is who we used with Hannahuntil we moved to S.A. All of my family still uses her.
ohhhhh bobbi that is terrible! I hope she gets better soon.
Poor baby!!! Hopefully she's doing well.
I'm sorry to burst your bubbles, but it's been a BAD BAD winter in Texas, too. Part of it is having a kid in kindergarten. Shelby has been more sick this year than she ever has. The other part is the winter. Dr. Kubena warned me it would be a bad winter and we've had illnesses from October 'til now. Yep that's 5 months and still counting. Hopefully next winter will be better for everyone. (My friend in Arizona has had sick kids a lot too, so it's everywhere.)
I'll let you in on something (we've had RSV twice this winter and once 3 years ago). RSV is a leading cause of pneumonia in babies (as well as bronchiolitis and ear infections - which all my girls got). Your doctor should have known that. It's a good thing the other doctor saw that the RSV had progressed to pneumonia. Too bad y'all aren't still here and going to Dr. Kubena. She's such a good doctor.
Anyways glad Eden's getting the medicine she needs. Hopefully she'll heal quickly and y'all will have a break from all the illnesses.
Good luck with the new job and the move!!!!!
I'm so sorry about all the illness-drama that you've been having. That's totally the pits! So glad that you have the right diagnosis for Eden now--thank goodness for the second opinion. Hope the meds work!
Post a Comment