Friday, February 06, 2009

Nothing To Do With Butterflies

So, Justin's out of town again. This time he's at a dental implant course in St. Louis. He left last night after the kids were in bed, and I sat down, alone, to watch a movie that I had recorded on Tivo. The movie of choice was The Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher, who is usually a very funny & entertaining actor. Unlike The Seventies Show, however, The Butterfly Effect was NOT funny. It was incredibly intense and definitely disturbing. There were points in the movie where I could actually feel my heart pace quickening, and my stomach becoming nauseous. It wasn't even a particularly gory or scary movie, just really intense and, well, disturbing. Once the movie was over, I knew I was in trouble. I HATE going to bed alone at night anytime, but after watching a disturbing movie like The Butterfly Effect (there are no butterflies in the movie, by the way), I knew I'd be up all night. Sure enough, it took me HOURS to finally fall asleep, and once I did, I was waking up every 30 minutes from dreams that I was in the movie and somehow had to go back in time and change my traumatic childhood past. It was an absolutely horrible night's sleep. I woke up this morning, tired and emotionally unstable. I actually cried while pouring my kids some cereal for breakfast. How could one movie affect me so much? Is anyone else this affected by movies? It's literally like my subconscious can't tell the difference between reality and television. Now, since I can't bare the thought of spending another night without my husband, I'm dropping my kids off with my sister and driving to St. Louis to stay with him tonight. We'll be meeting up with one of Justin's old high school buddies for dinner. Then, I don't know, maybe afterward we could go.... see a movie...

6 comments:

i'm erin. said...

I don't know if this is too telling about my whacked out emo state, but I can't watch intense movies at all they give me the craziest anxiety! I totally feel for you. Go see a comedy!

Krystal said...

I hear you on that movie, it's one of the few I've walked out of the theater on, it was just so disturbing. I'm normally not too sensitive about movies, but I never watch horror ones because I have bad dreams too.

Davis Family said...

Oh my yes! I cannot watch movies that are scary, disturbing, or intense without having crazy dreams. I always blame it on my overly active imagination. I'm actually the same way with books. Can't read a scary or intense book, especially before bed.

THE ORMES said...

I'm the say way. It's not even worth it. Anything disturbing brings bad dreams and bad thoughts. I'm sorry that happened to you while Justin wasn't there. That would be even worse. Hope tonight's MUCH better.

Oh, Blurb is working again, so you can slurp your blog to it if you want. I just slurped 170 entries last night with no problems.

Jill said...

I love scary movies, but I can freak myself out too..it's totally a mind thing and I've learned I have to just "get it out" of my mind somehow if it is bothering me that much. Hope you can recover!!

The Blaisdell Family said...

Bobbi,

You and I are alike. Craig laughs at me, because he knows if I watch something like that I'm affected by it like you did. If I'm down stairs by myself I RUNNNNNN up stairs and fly into bed. Craig just shakes his head and asks, "then why do you watch stuff like that?" My answer...I don't know! I don't blame ya for meeting up with Justin. Hope you have fun!!