I checked my email this morning. I received a message from the Facebook application "We're Related" informing me that they had made an exciting discovery. Based on information provided on my family tree, I am the 4th cousin once removed of Barack Hussein Obama!!! I immediately became excited and clicked on the link to Facebook. Sure enough, there was our common ancestor listed, with our family trees connected. I scanned over the names on my family tree to see if they were correct. I saw a "Peterson", and remembered that indeed I do have some "Peterson" ancestors on my Mom's side of the family, but I wasn't sure I recognized the first name. I clicked on the link at the bottom of the page that said "More Information". It brought me to a new page that said, "April Fool's! You're not related to Barack Obama....but you knew that anyway."
Grrr... I hate, hate, HATE April Fool's Day! Every year, I am reminded of how gullible I can be, fall for every lame trick in the book, and I end up feeling so totally stupid the entire day! Nevermind. At least the first joke of today was in the privacy of my own home and no one had to know that I fell for such a stupid lie. Now at least my guard was up, and I could make sure that I would NOT fall for any more April Fool's jokes for the rest of the day. I left my computer chair and saw to getting Brock's shoes, coat and backpack ready to leave the house. As the time came for his ride to pick him up, I received a phone call. It was Brother Koeppen, the friend that gives Brock a ride to school every morning. I heard him say, as I answered the phone, "Goodbye girls, have a nice day!" I assumed that Sister Koeppen must be driving the kids today, and he was saying goodbye to his daughters as they left his house on the way to my house to pick up my son. It was then that he informed me: "Um, Bobbi, I'm so sorry. I forgot to pick Brock up this morning. I'm at the school now dropping off my girls. Is it okay? Or do you want me to come back and get him?" I glanced down at my bathrobe and bare feet, at my baby covered in yogurt and cheerios, and my twins both still in their "night time underwear" (a.k.a. Pull-Ups). "Oh! No! It's fine!" I lied, "I can take him to school. It's not a problem". As I hung up the phone, there was a knock at the door and the two Koeppen girls were standing there shouting, "April Fool's!" Fantastic. It's not even 8am and I've already fallen for TWO stupid April Fool's day jokes. I think I'll just avoid all further contact with the outside world for the rest of the day. There's no place safe to hide!!!!
Wednesday, April 01, 2009
You're Related...
Posted by Bobbi at Wednesday, April 01, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Now you have me afraid to answer my phone or go out among people until the day is over!
For April Fools I did think about calling my Mom this morning and telling her I was pregnant though . . .
I am right there with you! I am a very gullible person and fall for almost everything!! I think I too will stay inside.
Post a Comment