Thursday, April 22, 2010

Bugs

I brought home a bunch of herbs, tomato and pepper plants from the greenhouse yesterday.

(BTW, doesn't the greenhouse look great? All ready for the big plant sale on May 1st!!!)

For the most part, everything looks and smells AMAZING!!! I can't wait to get these plants in the ground...once I get my raised beds and fences built, that is. Upon closer examination, however, I did find some undesirables on the underside of the pepper plant leaves. Check these babies out:




What do you think? Are they aphids? (What I wouldn't give to have just a handful of the 100,000 ladybugs that I just exterminated from the guest cabin.) I should know this stuff after taking the Master Gardener course, but you know how looking at slides in a classroom and actually encountering stuff first hand can be a totally different experience? Anyway, I definitely need to get rid of them before they kill my plants. Suggestions, anyone?

Speaking of raised beds, the railroad tracks down the road recently underwent some repairs. There are a bunch of old railroad ties just lying on the ground next to the road. Do you think it would be illegal to snag them and use them to build my raised beds? I mean, they're just sitting there going to waste. It seems like someone should put them to good use, right? Maybe I'll wait until after dark...

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I know you can buy ladybugs to put in your garden. Patricia buys them and puts them in her garden.

Paul said...

You're a Johnson aren't you? Ask Stephen to tell you about his parents taking the brood to get a railroad sign that was just "sitting there going to waste." How their dad had them all stop and "act natural" when a car happened by. Or when Paul and his mom dug up some plants from some public place that just "looked like they needed dividing." Paul is always on the lookout for plants that need rescuing from someone elses yard.

JoMamma said...

That greenhouse does look amazing. I think I will go to a nursery just to see all the plants sitting so neatly on the tables.

I don't know if I would get the railroad ties. I would not want to risk the creosote soaking into your veggies. I'm not an expert, so a bit of research would be a good idea before you take them. Good luck with the raised beds.

Clinton Home Educators said...

Rail road ties will probably erode quickly, unfortunately, and need to be replaced. You are going to do the raised beds now? That's awesome. I just got mine all planted. I really liked the ones they had at Lowe's, low maintenance, I don't know how long they will last. They are a heavy plastic. But I do know that railroad ties erode quickly and get yucky bugs in them (MO experience)

April said...

Just contact the city and see if they are willing to part with them, I'm pretty sure they would love to get them off their hands:)