Saturday, April 17, 2010

It's Great to be Eight!



Brock turned eight years old today. I simply cannot believe I have an eight year old! I am so grateful to have Brock as my oldest son. He is such a smart, helpful, friendly, and just darn adorable kid. I love watching him grow and develop into a young man. I can't wait to see what he does with his life!


Brock's birthday was a busy one. We started out the morning with a couple of soccer games:





Then in the afternoon we had the pine wood derby:



Brock's car had a few last minute issues come up. When we were building his car, we lost one of the wheels that came in the BSA kit, so I just bought some new ones at Hobby Lobby. Apparently the wheels they sell at Hobby Lobby aren't BSA approved, so we had to scrounge around for new wheels and axles at the race. Then the new axles didn't fit in the old holes we had drilled, so we had to find some glue to keep them in place. The glue didn't dry very fast, so we almost didn't get through registration on time, but we finally made it and took 2nd place in our den! (Granted there were only three boys racing, but still...we managed to beat the Batmobile!!!)

Yes, Brock designed and painted his car entirely by himself and yes, I absolutely refused to buy any of the decals or fenders or kits to make it look all fancy and store-bought. I definitely prefer the "made-by-a-second-grader" look. Don't you?

I wasn't really planning to have a big birthday party for Brock this year. I'm two weeks away from having a baby, not really in the mood for a big sha-bang, but it is Brock's eighth birthday...kind of a milestone, and the weather has been wonderful, and we have a great place to host an outdoor party, and my husband is really good at running the show, and roasting hot dogs, so we went ahead and invited Brock's entire school class, his cub scout den, friends from church, and of course family. We had a great turnout and an awesome party!!!







It can't be easy being the oldest kid. I know that I expect a lot from Brock, and he has never disappointed me. He's a fun older brother, a great student, a good friend, and a loving son.

I love you so much, Brock. I am so proud of you and the good choices you make everyday!!! You will always hold a special "first child" spot in your mother's heart. When you were born, you changed my life forever. I will never forget the joy that I felt when I first held you in my arms. You bring such light and love into our home. Happy Birthday, sweet boy. Thank you for being an important and irreplaceable part of our family!

2 comments:

JoMamma said...

That is such an awesome post. Happy 8th Birthday to Brock.

Kelli Proctor said...

so fun! Looks like your kids are all growing and the family is growing! YOu are due so soon! How exciting!