Let's face it. I have acne. Over the years, I've tried just about every kind of acne treatment from oral and topical prescription medications, to homeopathic injections, herbal supplements and essential oils, to marketed skin care regiments such as Proactive and others. While my acne has at times improved, I have never achieved the smooth, clear complexion that I have always wanted.
Up until now, there were really only two different types of skin therapies I hadn't tried yet: Accutane, which I refuse to do because of the scary side effects, and spa therapy, which I have steered away from because I'm uncomfortable with the idea of spending hundreds of dollars to be "pampered", and was doubtful that it would really do anything at all.
I recently had a friend tell me about her experience at Serenity Medical Spa. Serenity is the same kind of posh, pampering, relaxational, take-time-for-me spa that you might expect to see anywhere. However, the thing that makes Serenity different, is that it is run by two family practice physicians who treat their patients with all-around skin therapy, including prescription medications, if needed, chemical peels, UV light therapy, micro-dermabrasion and laser treatments. Soon after hearing about my friend's experience, I learned that one of my new neighbors actually works as the esthetician at Serenity. She encouraged me to go in for a free consultation, so I made the appointment.
At the consultation, I sat down with one of the physicians, who took some high-resolution, embarrassingly revealing photos of my face. The photos were put through different light settings, showing exactly how much inflammation, sun damage and bacteria that is on my face. The doctor then told me which treatments he recommended for me, how much it would cost, and let me go home to think about it. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to at least give spa therapy a try. I called the next Monday to schedule my first treatment. I spent an hour on Thursday, getting my first chemical peel and micro-dermabrasion, and then went back on Friday for my first red UV light treatment. I really wasn't expecting to see much change after the first two treatments, but I was amazed at how much my skin had responded after just one!! The redness and inflammation has noticeably reduced, my pores are smaller, my scars are less noticeable and my skin just feels really good!!! I know it sounds crazy, but I have become an over-night believer that spa therapy works! I can't wait to see what happens over the coming months as I continue this series of spa treatments.
So, in short, if you've been considering spa therapy for acne treatment, but have been hesitant because you didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars being "pampered", it might help to know that the treatments are not at all as cushy as the cashmere lobby make them seem. The chemical peel BURNS, the micro-dermabrasion feels like SAND PAPER ON YOUR FACE, and the UV light is so stinking bright, even with your eyes shut tightly behind the black-out eye shield they put on, you feel like you're going to be permanently blind when you get done. But it's worth it. And it works. I'm hoping to get some more high-definition photos taken after I'm done with treatment, and if I can get a copy of the before and after pictures to take home, I'll be sure to post them here....as embarrassing as it might be. I really am anxious to see the final results, and maybe I'll finally have the beautiful, smooth skin that I've always wanted!
Friday, October 17, 2008
Medical Spa Therapy
Posted by Bobbi at Friday, October 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You are going to have to post the before-after photos. My Dad has offered to pay for my sister to get micro done, but I don't know why she dosn't. I guess she isn't as vain as me. Anyways, it's good to hear that it works, because I was wondering if it was all that.
awesome! I am excited for you! One day I am totally going to do this too! You totally have to put up the before and after!
Post a Comment