Saturday, November 22, 2008

Storm Chasers


On Monday nights, I go to choir practice with the Greater Lake Area Chorale. I know, I know, Monday nights are supposed to be "family night", and I do feel terribly guilty every time I go to choir, but I really love singing, and we pretty much do spend every other week night together as a family, so I rationalize that developing my talents and having "mommy time" is important enough to put off "family night" for later on in the week. Anyway, while I'm at choir, Justin and the kids like to watch "storm chasers" on Discovery Channel. It's a show about scientists who chase down and study tornadoes. Last Tuesday morning, Austin, who is already way overly-obsessed with tornadoes, was up early and obviously very excited about something. He approached me in the attitude of secrecy and whispered quietly, "Mom, Daddy said we're going storm chasing this summer!!!" Apparently, while watching the previous night's episode of "Storm Chasers", Justin made some kind of promise that if we happen to get any tornadoes in our area next summer, he and the boys are going to load up in the truck and chase it down, just like the scientists on Discovery channel. Oh boy! That really sounds safe!!!

On another occasion, Austin suggested that we have "tornado cake" for dessert. What's a tornado cake? Anyone? I was stumped. Then I remembered that we had talked about a tornado being kind of like a funnel...and we had purchased some frozen funnel cakes from a school fund raiser. Hence, "TORNADO CAKE" translates to "FUNNEL CAKE". Aha!!

0 comments: