Women are supposed to learn everything about personal care and grooming from their mothers, right? WRONG! While I like to think that my mom did a great job teaching me the basics, there have been a lot of lessons that I have learned from other important women in my life. For example, it was Marlie Nelson in fifth grade who taught me how to shave my legs, resulting in big, long, bloody scabs on my shins. And it was Erin Calabio in junior high who told me that I HAD to do something about my hideous unibrow. Where would I be today without Erin going to town with her nail clippers on my bushy brows? And just this week, it was another very classy and well-groomed friend of mine who informed me that it is normal for women to SHAVE their facial hair! What? How is it that I've gone 29 1/2 years of life without realizing that I'm supposed to be doing something about my peach fuzz? I asked my esthetician about it yesterday and sure enough, she agreed that it is very common for women to trim their facial hair. She told me what kind of tool to buy and said that even she likes to give her face a buzz about once every week. She also assured me that despite the old wives' tale, my hair will NOT grow back thicker and darker after shaving. So, now I'm left with two nagging questions: First of all, am I the only one who didn't know that it's common for women to shave their facial hair? And second of all, what other personal grooming techniques am I ignorant of?
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You are so funny Bobbi. I have been surprised more than once when I get on the topic of facial hair around a group of women and find out how many of them do what you've just talked about. Maybe I don't see the other fuzzy parts on my face, but I usually work on my upper lip (and of course, my bushy brows).
I have been shaving my face for years! It is amazing how many of us do shave and don't tale! Love ya, Aunt Emily Ü
My Mom does electrolysis on hers . . . she's on like treatment 12! I somehow dodged a hereditary bullet though, 'cause despite my Mom's absolute NEED to shave her legs, etc., AT LEAST daily, I can easily get away with not shaving my legs for at least 2 months. And then I just kinda do it for fun, like because I'm supposed to or something. I am missing the excess of hair gene. I've heard when I hit my forties it will catch up with me and I will be shaving or plucking my own facial hairs!
I did not however miss the gray hair gene though. Just a little while ago my 2 year old pointed out a "five or six little white hairs" while complimenting me on my hair.
Love it. I don't shave my face and would be terrified to start, even though I hear as you said it doesn't make it worse. And where the heck is Marlie Nelson these days? Do you ever hear from her? Is she married? She actually served a mission with one of my roommates at BYU. Anyway, keep up the great posts.
Post a Comment