Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tip of the Day: Never Buy Beauty Products on eBay!!!

For years, I've been hearing great reviews from friends and hair stylists about the mighty Chi hair straightener. I decided a few months ago to finally break down and buy one. They're not cheap. The local salon had one for around $100, but being the cheapskate that I am, I decided to see if I could get one on eBay. I managed to snag a brand new one for around $80. It arrived quickly and worked great! I was very pleased and left rave reviews for the online seller.



A few months later, I was in the market for a new set of hot curlers. Once again, I thought I would invest in a nice set, and did some online research to find out what rollers were the best. I decided on a set of Babyliss ceramic hot rollers with butterfly clips. I found a set on eBay for around $40. I bought them, confident that I was getting a great deal.

A few days later, my package arrived, and I enthusiastically opened the box to find my hot rollers. I examined the product, and was shocked to find, not Babyliss rollers with butterfly clips, but Conair!? No butterfly clips. I had seen the exact same set at Wal-Mart for $20. I was, needless to say, very disappointed. I emailed the seller explaining the problem, confident that it must have been an honest mistake on their part. The reply I got was that "as far as they were concerned" the only hot curlers they sold were Babyliss, and if "I truly believed that I received the wrong product", I could return them at MY OWN EXPENSE and they would refund my money. What the heck?! I quickly went from disappointed to TICKED OFF!!! Did they really think I couldn't read that the curler box said "Conair" on the outside instead of "Babyliss"? I managed to get the seller's phone number and gave him a call. I explained the problem and he tried to convince me that Babyliss and Conair are made by the same company, so the product I received was equal to the one described in the eBay listing. I explained to him that the mere fact that the set I received did not have butterfly clips was significant difference enough, let alone the fact that the retail price of the Conair set was half the price of the Babyliss. The seller assured me that he would refund the cost of the item, plus shipping charges back to him. Relieved, I shipped the curlers back that very day. Days passed. Weeks passed. I sent emails, but got no reply. I tried calling, but got no answer. Finally, I filed a claim with PayPal, who reviewed my case and refunded the money I had paid for the item, but not the money I had spent to ship it back. I left negative feedback for the seller, and he left negative feedback for me, claiming once again that Babyliss and Conair are the same thing and that he had sent a refund the same day!!! The nerve!!! What lies!!! Oh, if I ever get my hands on that little....Anyway, back to the hair straightener. So, shortly after the hot roller fiasco, I was getting ready for church on Sunday and plugged in my eBay-purchased Chi. It wouldn't turn on. I tried re-setting the electrical outlet. Nothing. The darn thing was broken! No problem, I thought. One major reason I bought the quality hair straightener in the first place was because of the excellent customer service reputation the company has. I called Chi the next day and explained the situation, confident that they would replace the product without a problem. WRONG!! Once they discovered that I had purchased the straightener online, they informed me that their warranty is only effective on items purchased in a salon. Grrrr! So next time you see me and I'm having a bad hair day, you know why. And next time you think you might try to save a little money on hair appliances by purchasing them online, stop! Drive straight to your nearest hair salon and pay whatever they are charging, no matter how expensive, and know that you will be saving money in the long run!!!

5 comments:

The Blaisdell Family said...

Man that sucks! I've only had ebay problems like that 2 times out of a 100, so the odds I think are rare. BUT...still! What was the guys feedback like??? I always go through and look at why there are any negative. If it's the same complaint from all the negatives, I don't buy from that person!!

Nice try calling the Chi company though! Maybe not honest, but I wouldn't have told them I bought it on ebay:) just to see what they would say, then go from there.

I would be pretty ticked off too if I were you. I hate also when they leave retaliated feedback. I put on my boxing gloves when things go wrong with purchases!! That is one thing I don't put up with. If it's my mistake fine, I'll pout, but being lied to or miss led or made to look like the bad guy...NO WAY!!

n a positive note, IF you do purchase the CHI again, it really is a good product. I will have to look into rollers though. I've actually never used them!! I don't know how!

Shantell said...

Oh that sucks! I have a chi and I love it! I'm sorry that yours died and that chi won't fix it for you.

Shayleen Lunt said...

Chi huh? I just bought a conair...if it at least works better than the one I got almost 10 years ago, I'll be happy. If it doesn't though, I'll follow your advise in the last few lines of your posting.
ps My last couple of ebay experiences have been bad too...it's been awhile since I've shopped there.

Jill said...

Oh my gosh, I am sorry I am laughing because I would be sooooooooo ticked too! Ahhh. What a horrible story. That is crazy about the rollers and your seller. What a punk.
I want to get a Chi too and have heard they are awesome, so thanks for the tip. I won't be checking out ebay. Good luck in the future!!

Jamie Smith said...

Don't you hate bad customer service? I've been wanting to do a post on the declining service these days, so thanks for voicing my concerns for me! I feel like I have been screwed over so many times lately it's not even funny. So now when I find a place with excpetional service I just feel like sending them flowers! I can't get over how everything is getting more expensive, but service and quality have taken a turn for the worse!

Well, I'm sure your hair looks great and I hope you finally get something that works. Paul bought me a camera last year that was supposedly NEW and when it arrived it had scratches all over it! I was like what were they thinking?