Saturday, March 01, 2008

Showing-Off

I have a tick. You know, something that I do unintentionally, yet incessantly. I type...CONSTANTLY. Now, I know what you're thinking. You're wondering to yourself right now, "How did such an obsession come about?" Well, I'll tell you. You see, it all started in 9th grade when I was enrolled in a mandatory keyboarding class. I wanted to get faster at typing, so I got the idea that if I practiced typing whatever words I saw throughout the day, then I'd get faster on the keyboard. So, whenever I was riding in the car, I would read billboards, license plates, whatever, and just twitch my fingers while mentally typing. After a while, it became an obsession, and eventually a habit that I cannot break. I type constantly. If I'm not typing billboards, I'm typing words that I hear or say during conversations, words to songs on the radio, or spoken on t.v. It's really become quite maddening. Justin teases me because sometimes when I hold his hand, my fingers start twitching without me even realizing it. He knows exactly what I'm doing and asks, "What are you typing now?" He's learned by now what a psycho I am. Anyway, the point is, I think all of the typing madness really worked for me. I really have become quite a quick typist. And, I just discovered an on-line test to prove it!!! Give it a shot. It's lots of fun!!! If you find that you're not as quick as you'd like to be, just start practicing on billboards!!!

86 words

Speed test

8 comments:

The Blaisdell Family said...

Well, I'm bummed. I use to type between 90-93 words, the highest I got tonight was 70, so yeah, I need some practice.

I won a contest for doing the fastest 10 key once though, I should find a test for that too. I can't use any other calculator but my 10 key. I love it!!

I laughed about your "fingers twitching" because Tanya, my sister, use to do that when she took a sign language class at BYU. She would CONSTANTLY be signing to herself without even knowing it. I use to do the typing thing in my head when I was in the typing class, but I haven't for a while now.

That was fun, thanks for sharing!!

i'm erin. said...

Ha HA HA HA...the best part about your blog is I totally remember you doing that all through highschool, and I remember teasing you about it too...that wasn't very nice of me, but that is great you still do it!

Shayleen Lunt said...

Bobbi - I'll admit something to you. I do it too.
My typing class wasn't until high school and so I felt very behind in my typing skills and so I did the same thing as you...practiced typing everything. I still do it...moving my pinky down to "hit" the shift button for capital letters and all!

The Blaisdell Family said...

Ok, so I took the test again (instead of at 11pm and tired) and I got 80 with 0 mistakes, so not too bad, right?? Still not as good as you though!!:)

THE ORMES said...

Ah Bobbi . . . you're not the only one. I don't do it much any more (unless I've been typing a lot), but I use to do it ALL THE TIME!!! Sometimes it would drive me nuts, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one!!!

I tried the test and got 78, not bad for the first typing test in a long time (and with Payden leaning on my arm). I'm definitely gonna try again because it was fun to do although I'm worried I'll bring back the mental typing . . . oh well.

Thanks for sharing.

Rob and Jenn said...

I took it...I type 55 words per minute...you've got me beat by a landslide! So fun to take, thanks for sharing!
Jenny (Castleberry) Harris

The Kerr Family said...

You're a typer and I'm a writer. I write out words that I'm thinking or that I hear. College is when it really got bad--all that note taking. Eric calls me on it all the time. Hilarious. I never thought much about it until your post. I thought I was odd, but I guess I'm not. Thanks.

I'll do horrible at the test, but I'll try.

Michelle Cox said...

Holy cow! I could only get up to 61! But, I also type much faster if I'm writing my own thoughts. Random words are hard.

That's funny I never knew that about you -- all these years...